Laings of Glasgow opens Robert Stewart store in Argyll Arcade
Laings of Glasgow has brought Scottish jewellery shop Robert Stewart back to the Argyll Arcade as part of the retailer’s ongoing expansion.
Laings of Glasgow recently opened an expanded 3,000sq ft flagship store in the Argyll Arcade and the retailer has now bought another unit within the Arcade and opened it as Robert Stewart, a jewellery shop that was once appointed silversmith to Queen Victoria.
Robert Stewart is a trusted name in the area and will offer consumers various products, ranging from silver and fashion collections including shambala bracelets, to diamond jewellery with an exclusive handpicked Robert Stewart diamond ring range.
Robert Stewart was originally established by two brothers in 1835 as Allan and Robert Stewart Clock and Watchmakers. Based in the Trongate area, the brothers parted ways in 1840 and Robert continued to grow the business alone, moving to two different addresses on Argyle Street and up to Buchanan Street between 1845 and 1890.
Between 1886 and 1896, it is documented that Robert Stewart was appointed goldsmith, jeweller, wholesaler and silversmith to Queen Victoria.
The last Robert Stewart store was based on Sauchiehall Street and was purchased by the Laings in 1989.
Wendy Laing, director of Laings of Glasgow, said: “The past six months have been really exciting for the company with the launch of our new flagship store and the introduction of several new and exclusive brands.
“Despite not having traded for many years now, the Robert Stewart name still resonates with the people of Glasgow and is regarded as a high quality and reliable brand.
“Now we are into December and the festive trading is ramping up to full speed, it’s the perfect time for us to open the new Robert Stewart store to offer shoppers in the Arcade the opportunity to purchase jewellery from another historic Scottish name.”